Reporting Deputy: Lieutenant Brandi Swan
File # MV231950289
On July 14, 2023, at 9:01 PM, deputies from the Moreno Valley Station received a call of a major injury traffic collision on Box Springs Road at Pine Cone Lane. Deputies, along with paramedics from CalFire, responded within minutes and located the collision. Upon arrival, deputies located a severely injured bicyclist laying in the roadway, which had collided with a Honda Civic.
The bicyclist was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. Westbound lanes of Box Springs Road were closed in the immediate area to safely process the collision, but have since reopened. The Moreno Valley Traffic Investigations Team responded and assumed the investigation.
A preliminary investigation revealed a 2006 Honda Civic was traveling westbound on Box Springs Road, when a bicyclist crossed into opposing lanes of traffic for an unknown reason and collided with the Honda Civic in a head-on collision. It is unknown at this time if drugs or alcohol were a factor in the collision. The driver (and sole occupant) of the Honda was uninjured, remained at the scene of the collision, and is cooperating with the investigation.
The Moreno Valley Station would like to remind bicyclists to avoid wearing dark clothing during evening hours and of the requirement to have the following equipment under state law (California Vehicle Code Section 21201):
- A front lamp emitting a white light visible from a distance of 300 feet
- A rear red reflector or a solid or flashing red light with a built-in reflector visible from a distance of 200 feet
- A white or yellow reflector on each pedal or on the bicyclist’s shoes or ankles visible from a distance of 200 feet
- A white or yellow reflector on the front wheel, a white or red reflector on the rear wheel, or reflectorized tires
- Use mirrors only as an aid. Always look over your should to make sure the lane is clear before turning or changing lanes
If you witnessed this collision or have information regarding this incident, please contact Deputy Andrew Galbreath of the Moreno Valley Station at 951-486-6700.
For media inquiries regarding this incident please contact the Media Information Bureau.
Find your latest news here at the Hemet & San Jacinto Chronicle