California Rep. Eric Swalwell is accusing Donald Trump of attempting to interfere in the state’s governor’s race after reports surfaced that federal investigators may release documents tied to a years-old case involving the congressman.
The allegations come after The Washington Post reported that FBI Director Kash Patel has instructed agents to prepare files from a decade-old investigation for possible public release. The case examined Swalwell’s past interactions with a suspected Chinese intelligence operative.
According to the report, the documents are being reviewed and redacted by agents in the bureau’s San Francisco office — a move that former officials say is highly unusual, particularly since the investigation never resulted in criminal charges.
The inquiry focused on Swalwell’s contact with Christine Fang, also known as Fang Fang, who was involved in fundraising efforts tied to his early congressional campaigns. After being briefed by intelligence officials in 2015 about concerns regarding her connections, Swalwell cut off all contact. He has never been accused of wrongdoing.
In a statement released Saturday, Swalwell dismissed the renewed attention to the case, calling it politically motivated.
“This is about targeting political opponents,” he said, adding that the timing of the reported document release raises serious concerns as California’s gubernatorial race begins to take shape.
Swalwell, who launched his campaign for governor in November, argued that the effort is designed to weaken his candidacy as he gains traction in the race.
He also suggested that the move reflects a broader strategy by the administration to influence elections beyond Washington, saying the goal is to shape leadership in key states.
The FBI has not publicly commented on the report.
Supporters of Swalwell quickly echoed his concerns. Adam Schiff, who has endorsed him in the governor’s race, criticized what he described as a misuse of federal agencies, writing that such actions could undermine public trust.
Schiff, who previously served alongside Swalwell on the House Intelligence Committee, said the situation reflects a pattern of political retaliation. Both lawmakers played prominent roles in investigations and impeachment proceedings during Trump’s presidency.
Other Democrats voiced similar concerns. Jimmy Gomez called the move a waste of resources, pointing out that the case had already been reviewed and closed without findings of misconduct.
“Revisiting this now raises serious questions,” Gomez said, arguing the timing appears tied to the upcoming election.
Meanwhile, Jamie Raskin, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said any effort to revive the case for political purposes could cross legal and ethical lines, including potential violations of federal rules governing political activity.
The original investigation dates back to the early 2010s. According to reporting from the Associated Press, Fang became involved with Swalwell’s campaign during his first run for Congress in 2012 and later participated in fundraising efforts. She also helped place an intern in his office.
Federal authorities alerted Swalwell in 2015 about their concerns regarding Fang, prompting him to sever ties. Years later, in 2023, the House Ethics Committee concluded a review of the matter without finding evidence of wrongdoing.
In its closing letter, the committee noted the broader risks posed by foreign influence but did not accuse Swalwell of misconduct.
As the governor’s race continues to develop, the controversy is likely to remain a flashpoint — blending national politics with California’s high-stakes election season.























